Here is a very small tidbit that Kris talked about.
- This is a disease that affects newborns - 1 in every 100 babies are born with CHD
- Congenital heart defects are problems with the heart's structure that are present at birth. These defects can involve - The interior walls of the heart; The valves inside the heart; and/or the arteries and veins that carry blood into the heart or out to the body.
- Congenital heart defects change the normal flow of blood through the heart.
- Lots of heart defects are not detected in prenatal ultrasounds or on physical examination after birth. Since they are the number 1 birth defect, parents should know the signs of heart defects which include rapid breathing, difficulty feeding (tiring out), blueness of lips and fingers and toes, failure to thrive, fatigue difficulty with physical exertion, and chest pains (in older children).
- If you know of anyone who is pregnant or trying to get pregnant, talk to them about CHD and definitely tell them about the Pulse-Ox test. They have to ask for this, it is not a test that is given unless asked for.