Friday, June 10, 2011

Food Storage a MUST

Many of you know what our family has been going through these past 8 months. But for those who do not let me briefly touch base with you.
In October 2010 my DH lost his job, we felt that we would be successful in building a MLM (multi-level marketing) business; however with the economy the way it was, understandably people wanted to hold on to their money. This resulted in DH to start looking for another full time regular paying job. During this time I still had my job that was able to keep up with the house payment, utilities, and the bare necessities; while a lot of things that we could live without was dropped of the back of the wagon, like date night dinner and movies, Christmas for us parents (we made sure the teen got his), it even got as bad as no new makeup or perfume for me, wearing holy socks and tired shoes.
This is not a pity post, it is just to let you know how tight things have become. This is where the real post begins.
I am and have been for many years very active in making sure that we had a fully stocked Food Storage. I was teased by my DH when we first got married (three years ago in August), especially with the toilet paper (no one wants to run out of TP). Today he now understands the full meaning of having a food storage. While right now our storage is very depleted, we will be building it up soon, now that my DH is again working.

So you're wondering helpful hints on how to start, add, or anything about a food storage? I believe I can help. I would like to start giving helpful hints and just to make sure that it is not all from my pea brain head, I will be obtaining information from different sources which I will clearly reference, no plagiarism here. If you have any wonder hints or ideas, please drop me an email, if I haven't already mentioned it and if it seems credible or insightful I will post it here and give you credit. Also don't worry, I will not be trying to get you to buy any expensive storage units or food; this will only be for reference to what is available and how an everyday family can build their food storage.

“We can begin ever so modestly. We can begin with a one week’s food supply and gradually build it to a month, and then to three months. … I fear that so many feel that a long-term food supply is so far beyond their reach that they make no effort at all.
“Begin in a small way, … and gradually build toward a reasonable objective." President Gordon B. Hinckley in 2002 General Conference.

Tip # 1 - DO NOT STRESS OVER IT! For many years I would worry about what to do, where to start, among many other things, in fact I spent so much time stressing over it that my food storage never was started. Finally I decided to 'chill' and started out small (real small) and purchased a few more cans of goods than what I usually use. So take a deep breath ....... and start storage building.

Isn't this pretty, sure wish mine looked like this.
Stay tuned for more tips and hints. Together we can build our self reliance through food storage.

2 comments:

  1. Kari, this is great! We've just decided that we need to really sit down and figure out what we need so we can store, store, store. I look forward to all of these posts. Thank you! (Our biggest question is where to store water, because we definitely need to!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so funny that this would be your number 1 tip cause it's my biggest problem. :p I do look forward to the day that I can start ours though.

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think and how I am doing. I would love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...